History is chock full of things I wish I could go back and watch unfold. As one who is interested in historical events, I could make a seriously long list.
But, this is a blog post. Not an encyclopedia. So, in no particular order, I’ll jot down a few major events I would like to go back in time and witness first hand. Let’s get started…
- The first thing I’d like to see, and I think most people would be on board with me on this one, is to go back to when everything first started. Whether you’re a Creationist or a Big Banger, this one would be worth the trip!
- The beginning of life. I believe this one pretty much speaks for itself.
- The Bible stories. I mean, c’mon! You know you want to!
- The building of the great pyramids.
- The extinction of the dinosaurs. Provided, of course, I could live through it.
Of course, those are all pretty obvious ones. Here’s some other favorite moments I would like to go back and see:
- My birth. I know that sounds awkward, but it’s true.
- All of Victorian London. What can I say? I’m a bit of a Steampunk fan!
- I most definitely want to go back and see exactly what it was that made Plato write about Atlantis.
- It may sound a bit strange, but I’d like to be a fly on the wall and watch certain authors as they wrote their masterpieces.
For instance, I’d like to watch J. K. Rowling as she wrote the first Harry Potter book on the napkins and scraps of paper she used.
- The library of Alexandria in its prime. That should prove interesting! But I’d settle for the invention of the wheel.
There are some darker times I would want to witness, too, simply because of their historical significance. As horrific as they were, I feel like the only way to really understand them is to have been there. Some of these tragic and sad moments would be:
- The sinking of the Titanic – starting five minutes before it hit the iceberg.
- The bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That’s all I’m going to say about that.
- I would want to be witness to the controversial Lincoln and John F. Kennedy assassinations.
- The height of the Black Death.
- And lastly, I would want to watch Leonardo Da Vinci paint the famous Mona Lisa. I know that doesn’t sound all that bad, but maybe, for him, it was. Think about it!
So if you could go back in time, what would you want to see?